Sunday, May 29, 2011

Growing UP

My three children are growing up.
I don't know how to stop it.

It seems like yesterday that I was dropping Ellie off for her first day of Kindergarten at Brookside Elementary school in Springville. Now she has graduated from the 2nd grade at Mapleton Elementary School, is baptized, has braces, plays the piano, and occasionally talks about which boy she thinks is cute.
How did that happen?





It feels like Jane is still the spunky tiny 2 year old with a few wisps of hair and a mischievious smile, and yet I watched a week ago as she sang her heart out with the other Kindergartners at her graduation. She was the tallest girl in her class, reads like a grown-up, and is more daring at 6 than I am at 31.





Could it have really been 2 1/2 years ago that I met my sweet baby Henry for the first time? He seemed so little and was completely dependent on me for everything. Even though he is now a big, active, smart 2 year old, he is still my baby. But now he walks around telling people he is going to be a BIG brother. And he's right.





Sometimes I am not ready to let my kids grow up. I want to freeze time so I can really soak in each stage they are in. Time goes too fast.

We will be adding a new little one to our family in just a couple of weeks, and that is going to make my three other kids seem even more big and grown up. Of course I am thrilled at the thought of having a precious baby girl join our family, but I know in a way it will change things. Henry won't be my baby anymore. The girls will be given more responsibility as they help with the baby and Henry. When I hold the tiny, innocent, helpless baby, I will be even more aware of how much my other three have changed.

I know, change is a good thing and growing up is a good thing. But, I just want to push pause for a minute and bask in the greatness of having my 8, 6, and 2 year old.

My three children are growing up.
And I don't know how to stop it.

No comments:

Post a Comment