What does it mean when your older sister gets her tonsils out...
Popsicles...

Milk shakes...
And movies all around...

Siblings with benefits.
On a more serious note, I had a profound realization the day that my first born got her tonsils out. Although a tonsillectomy isn't a huge surgery, of course there is always worry and concern when your child has to have any medical procedure done. It is a good thing those nurses know just how to make the separation quick and unexpected, because I am pretty certain there would have been tears if there had been time to say goodbye and give a quick hug. And those tears would have been mom tears. It was tough to watch my 8-year-old walk away down the hall with some lady we've never even met before (okay, she was a nurse, and a really nice nurse, but still). Although Ellie was extremely brave and seemingly calm, no doubt there must have been at least an inkling of fear as she lay on the bed surrounded by unfamiliar medical personnel in funny outfits and masks. Although I had total confidence things would go smoothly, the wait in the waiting room was not the most pleasant. I just wanted to be there for Ellie and I couldn't.
It wasn't until much later that day, after Ellie was home and recovering well that I finally remembered to offer up a prayer of thanks. After all, everything HAD gone smoothly, and except for a few minutes when she was first coming out of anesthesia, there hadn't even been any tears or much pain. It was during this prayer of gratitude that something really hit me... Ellie was never alone. She had a loving parent with her the entire time she was in that surgery. Kyle and I couldn't be there by her side, but her Father was right there the whole time. And He always will be.
I broke down for a few minutes as the reality of this profound truth struck me. To the core. Of course it is an idea I have always known, but to understand the implications of it, really blew me away. As much as I love my children, I simply can not be with them all the time...even in times of need. Yet, they don't ever have to be alone. They have a Father in Heaven who loves them even more perfectly than I do. He is always there. Always.
What parent could ask for more?
It wasn't until much later that day, after Ellie was home and recovering well that I finally remembered to offer up a prayer of thanks. After all, everything HAD gone smoothly, and except for a few minutes when she was first coming out of anesthesia, there hadn't even been any tears or much pain. It was during this prayer of gratitude that something really hit me... Ellie was never alone. She had a loving parent with her the entire time she was in that surgery. Kyle and I couldn't be there by her side, but her Father was right there the whole time. And He always will be.
I broke down for a few minutes as the reality of this profound truth struck me. To the core. Of course it is an idea I have always known, but to understand the implications of it, really blew me away. As much as I love my children, I simply can not be with them all the time...even in times of need. Yet, they don't ever have to be alone. They have a Father in Heaven who loves them even more perfectly than I do. He is always there. Always.
What parent could ask for more?
AMEN sista! Cute pics. i am writing this as Rosie cries herself to sleep:( being a parent is the hardest and most rewarding job.
ReplyDeleteThere was a cute little guy sharing the same room in recovery with Rod after his surgery that had gotten his tonsils out. I felt bad for the poor thing. Hope Ellie is feeling better.
ReplyDeleteThat was beautiful Lisa! I'm wiping my tears as we speak.
ReplyDeleteAw Lis, that is so cute. How darling is your family? I'm just catching up on your blog and this one definitely made me tear up. Love you!
ReplyDelete