Wednesday, August 4, 2010

One-on-One

When I was growing up, and even all through high school, I always told people I wanted 12 kids. Yup, a dozen. I have always loved kids and figured 12 would perfect. Well, things have changed a bit, and let's just say that that number has come down...considerably.

As any parent knows, there are a multitude of reasons why 12 is a bit too ambitious for me. However, I am often reminded of one of the major reasons I will not be having a dozen of my own chicks. That reason was re-iterated to me recently on my Mommy/Daughter date with Jane.

...One-on-one.... I thrive on having individual time with each of my kids.

Now, I must say that I have always been pretty good at one-on-one. In fact, in high school, I won the one-on-one tournament at a big multi-school basketball camp. Yup. I even have the plaque to prove it.

Turns out, I am pretty good at doing one-on-one with my kids too. I don't mean that I am good at making one-on-one time, but when those times do come, I feel good. Really good. In all honesty, this summer has been crazy, to say the least, and much of my time is spent thinking about or getting house stuff done. My poor kids have suffered for it. So, Kyle and I decided it was high time to take our girls out for a date. He took Ellie and I took Jane.

Jane chose to go to Jump On It- a big warehouse with trampolines lining the floor. I don't know the last time I had more fun. Just she and I. Jumping our guts out. All worries went away and for over an hour, it was the two of us in our own world. Giggling. Talking. Jumping. Falling. Laughing. Bonding.

Pure joy.

So, whatever number of kids we end up with, I guess I just want to make sure that I can still get in some of that precious one-on-one. Because, for me, that is when all the walls come down and the true bonding begins.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, sister. My kids get dad days, which they love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What good parents you are. I love that your kids get the one-on-one. You're such an example to me.

    ReplyDelete