My girls have been sharing a queen size bed for the past six months, since we moved in with my Mom. Every night, the girls go through a bedtime ritual as follows:
1. Each girl requires X amount of kisses and hugs-X being the number of years old they are. If you give them an extra hug or kiss, you are breaking the rules.
2. Each girl must say this sentence. Over and over. Loudly. To ensure they were heard. You MUST then say it back. Over and over. Loudly. To make sure you were heard...
"Good night, love you. Love you, good night."
Bedtime will NOT begin until these rituals have taken place.
It reminds me of when I was younger.
For most of my young life I shared a room with my older sister, Natalie. She was two years older than me. Not sure how it started, but every night we would say,
Good night.
Have sweet dreams.
Love you.
Now, somewhere along the road, Natalie got it into her head that after I had told her this endearing statement, she could simply say,
Same to you.
Hmmm. This did not jive. This was completely and utterly against the Unwritten Rules of Night-Time Rituals. I remember being so mad at her on many occasions, I wanted to pop her one. "You can't say that. You have to say the whole thing!" I may have done it to her a few times (not popped her one, but said "same to you"), but I am certain she is the one who started it :)
It's silly that such a loving phrase was sometimes said through gritted teeth, ready to fight to the death if "the rule" was not followed and the correct response emitted.
Regardless, I always had a good night filled with sweet dreams, and I still love you, Nat.
I know.
I have three of them!
I have three of them!
Your girls are so adorable.
ReplyDeleteI love the little rituals and rules kids create for themselves within a relationship. One of them in our family is:
1: I love you.
2: How much?
1: Bigger than space.
So cute!
I like those sisters. Ellie's toothless grin is priceless. I always thought it was SOOO cool that I never had to share a room! I don't think its very cool anymore. I wish I had shared a bed with my sisters. Sometimes me and my two brothers would talk our mom into letting us sleep in our separate doorways on the floor. Ahh...sweet memories:)
ReplyDeleteI only have one sister, but I love her like crazy.
ReplyDeleteIn our house the bed time ritual is to say "Don't let the bed bugs bite" with each person taking one word. Then of course "Love you" at the end. The kids are not tucked in until this happens. Great memories.
ReplyDeleteSo cute!! I miss all you guys. Henry is so big now crazy :)
ReplyDelete