Here is a brief (or not so brief) synopsis of our Halloween happenings.
September- Henry decides he wants to be a fireman for Halloween.
Early October- buy Henry some fireman rain boots for his costume. The boots were $22, way more than I am happy to spend; more than I have ever spent on a costume, but I convince myself that he will be the proudest and cutest fireman on Halloween.
Early October- trip to D.I. to find "the perfect costume" for the kids. Leave empty handed.
Mid October- Ellie decides on a cute genie costume borrowed from her cousin.
Late October- Kyle finds the last fireman hat and axe buried deep in a pile of accessories at Joann's. He claims he had to fight off a mob of ladies to get it.
Late October- Jane decides to use her cousin's Southern Belle costume, but her cousin lives in St. George and we won't be able to get the costume until two days before Halloween.
October 23rd- Ward Halloween Party. I talk Kyle into dressing up as Napoleon Dynamite. This means I must go as Deb. I spend an hour at D.I. trying to find the right ensemble then leave empty handed, unable to spend $8 on stretchy waist band jeans that come up past my belly button and have used tissues in each pocket and completely give me the willies. Kyle and I wing it with stuff from home to go as Napoleon and Deb. Ellie is a genie. Henry is a fireman. Jane is the Statue of Liberty but her crown is broken so she really looks like a MoTab singer in her frumpy gown.
October 31st-
Morning: Kids get to dress up at school. Jane's bell costume is too puffy so she wears her soccer shirt and shorts. Ellie goes to school as a genie. Henry begs to put on his fireman stuff.
Afternoon: Girls come home from school. Ellie rips off her costume, complaining that it itched her like crazy and vows she will NOT be a genie during trick-or-treating. Henry begs to put on his fireman costume.
4:45-5:45: Ellie and I try to come up with another costume for Ellie but the stars are not aligning and nothing is working out (mostly, Ellie is sporting 'tude' and nothing I suggest suits her fancy). After trying several different options, Ellie declares she is not going trick-or-treating and I am ready to end the holiday early. Henry begs to put on his fireman costume.
5:45: Kyle comes home, Ellie breaks down in tears b/c she really does want to go trick-or-treating. Kyle quickly comes up with a solution and has Ellie decked out as a cute baseball player in no time.
6:00: Moments before the neighbors arrive for soup, I finally tell Henry it is time to put on his fireman costume. Henry breaks down in tears because he wants to be a baseball player like Ellie. He doesn't seem to care that we spent $22 on his boots.
6:05 Henry is wearing pajamas that look like a baseball uniform until he covers them up with his jacket, Jane puts on her 3rd Halloween costume (MoTab singer, soccer player, Southern bell), and Ellie is happy in dad's old baseball shirt.
7:00 Dinner is over and the kids are ready to head out for the fun part- free candy. Except Lucy is ready to eat and go to bed. She never even wore her cute flower costume. So I turn off all the lights in the house and hide in Lucy's room, nursing her and ignoring the persistent trick-or-treaters who ring the doorbell over and over in spite the darkness. Lucy got awakened 3 different times.
And so I say, Halloween Shmalloween. Free candy or not, I'm on your side, Mom. Let's hope next year goes better.
| Nope. I didn't even get a picture of Henry. He ran the other way when I pulled out the camera and, after all, he was just wearing pajamas. |
I love this post! It is totally how I feel about Halloween! What a joke! I wish the kids would be happy if I just bought them a bag of their favorite candy and watched a movie that night instead! Hang in there with the DI for costumes. That's where I got a super hero outfit for $4 and a storm tropper outfit for $8. Also, I went to Walmart after Halloween and bought clearenced costumes for next year. A whole year to persuade my children into what they really "want" to be for Halloween. (They "want" to be whatever I have in the house already!)
ReplyDeleteHaHa. I haven't experiences this to the full extent...yet. I am sure its coming tho. Glad it mostly worked out in the end.
ReplyDeleteOh Lis, that is crazy! But I must admit that i totally laughed while reading all about this!! Gotta love nights like that!
ReplyDelete